Thursday, October 28, 2010

Project 365: 87/365

Ugh, Halloween. I. Hate. Dressing. Up.

I don't know when I got so averse to Halloween. I was so into it when I was little... probably because my mother made me the most a-mazing costumes. My mom is a seriously amazing seamstress (even though she'd deny it). In preschool I was a lavender unicorn. Yes, you read that right. The costume basically consisted of a satin zip-up onesie with a tulle "mane" going from the hood down to my bum (I'm pretty sure that there was some kind of sparkly trim involved as well) and then of course, a silver horn. I even had matching lavender ballet slippers that I wore with dark purple socks. And makeup.

The real standout was in 4th grade (I think) when I was Belle from Beauty and the Beast. You've seen the movie, right? That was pretty much my dress. Gold satin (with little straps, because as an 8-year old I didn't have the chest to hold that thing up), with hand-rolled red satin roses at each of the pickups (courtesy of grandma, sitting at the kitchen table). It rained that year, and the bottom inch of the dress was black with mud. But you can bet that all the other kids were crazy jealous.

And now, I HAAAAAAAAAATE it. I think it is absolutely absurd to be dressing up as a grown adult. I did it reluctantly last year (cough*alexandra*cough) and swore I'd never do it again.

But then my grad school has to go and make a big deal out of Halloween. Curses!

I went to Walgreen's and this was the best I could do:


Clearly not an option. So now I'm in the market for a low-involvement Halloween costume... for tomorrow night. Anyone have any bright ideas? I'm all ears. I'm looking for minimal financial outlay at this point. 10 points to whoever has the best idea.

1 comment:

  1. One of my better costumes -- a flight attendant. White button down, pencil skirt, red scarf around neck, sensible shoes, apron, wing pins from a Army Surplus store, a rolling suitcase. I also passed out mini bottles of booze and bags of peanuts at the party. Easy and cheap! :)

    ReplyDelete