Wednesday, August 4, 2010

We Made it!

So we made it to Boston. Me, Dad, 200 lbs. of luggage, and 19 boxes weighing 490 lbs. of my life. The gang's all here!

Getting here was a bit of an adventure. By 6 p.m. the night of our flight, we saw that our 8:50 flight was already delayed over 90 minutes to 10:30 p.m. So, we did what any normal people who lived 10 minutes from the airport would do: we stayed at home and watched TV. Frequent (and somewhat frenetic) flight status checking showed the flight delayed AGAIN until 11 p.m. So, again, we waited.

By about 9:15 p.m., Dad started making noises that we should get ourselves to the airport. So we acquiesed to the "Travel Nazi" and got ourselves down to the airport. While checking in our bags, I ask the clerk what we are supposed to do in terms of our connecting flight (since there is no way on earth we are going to make it at this point.) He says he thinks we might make it after all (not bloody likely, but OK), and then throws out this gem: "if you guys had been here earlier, we could have put you on the direct flight to Boston that left at 9:00 p.m."


Score one for the Travel Nazi. This time, he was right. Oh and you can BET that I heard about that all the way to Boston.



We arrived at 25 Littell Rd., greeted by 88 degree weather and 80% humidity. Joy! And then we got to carry 200 lbs. of luggage up three flights of stairs. It's safe to say that we were pretty wiped out by the end of that experience. Those top three windows are the living room of my new apartment, and the window that's cut off in the upper right hand side of the photo is my bedroom.

We spent the afternoon making a Bed, Bath and Beyond run and scoping out the TV situation at Best Buy. I'll spare you all the details, because I know that the red eye flight took a serious toll on my decision making skills. After 45 minutes standing in front of the duvets, even the B,B, & B employees noticed!

Our next stunning accident in timing occurred later that afternoon. While I was able to procure a mattress pre-arrival, the one thing that I needed was a bed frame to support said mattress. Local mattress stores wanted upwards of $80, so I went the Craigslist route. We found a couple in Kenmore selling theirs, and headed up the Green Line to go pick it up (again with the amazing decision-making skills) promptly at 6 p.m., per their instructions.

The Green Line in my neck of the woods is above ground, and then heads underground right before the Kenmore Station. As we're barreling towards the tunnel, my phone rings. It's the Greyhound Courier Service, wanting to know why no one is answering the door at my house! I have just enough time to be taken off hold and hear that yes the courier will wait before we head underground and I lose my connection.

We jump off at Kenmore and race across into another train, thinking it was headed back outbound down the C line. Unfortunately it was another inbound train headed for Hynes Convention Center! I almost burst into tears when the train started moving the same way as the one we'd just been on. To make a very long story short, we met the courier about 30 minutes later at my apartment and he helped us carry all 19 boxes (or 18 and a rug, that sounds better) up to my apartment.

By the end of this adventure, all that we were good for was a shower and a short walk down to the corner for a Harp and some fish and chips. If I have learned anything during this moving experience, it is to pack heavy and trust in the restorative properties of a good pint of beer. It'll bring you back every time!

No comments:

Post a Comment