Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The First Fortnight

Yesterday afternoon I had a fleeting thought: maybe I should set an alarm for tomorrow morning so I can get used to getting up early again? Better sense prevailed, however, and I decided to forgo the alarm in favor of enjoying my last morning of shameless sleeping in. And I did enjoy it... until the trash trucks came by at about 7:45 a.m., and again at 8:30 a.m.

Tomorrow I will have been in Boston two weeks. Two weeks! The time has just flown by. I've accomplished a lot in two weeks. I'm glad to say that I'm all moved in to my apartment, and not one thing I own is in a cardboard box (as of this morning). That will only stay true until the box that Dad just shipped me arrives later this week.... but let me bask in that angelic light for at least five minutes, mmkay?

So far I'm really loving Boston. I'm liking getting around using my own two feet, and I'm liking navigating my way around on the bus and T. There are so many things to see and do in my little corner of Brookline that I haven't had to travel too far out to explore.

So far I'm really not loving the humidity, but I'm also trying to not complain about it either! We had a stretch of about 4 humidity free days, but now it's right back up there. I'm almost used to climbing the three flights of stairs up to my apartment... though sometimes I do have to run straight up and stand in front of my a/c for a few minutes so I don't feel like I'm going to explode. Some of the native and longer-term Bostonians I've met have assured me I'll get used to it. Or I'll leave after graduation. 

I've gotten used to not having a dishwasher. There are times (like when we brought home a brand new set of dishes from Ikea on Saturday) that it would be really nice to have, but it's really not so big of a deal when you are just one person. Cooking for a family of four? Not so much. The one thing that HAS been really hard though is not having a garbage disposal. It's not really an appliance I've ever given too much thought to, but damn you sure miss it when it is gone.

My roommates are great, and so is the apartment. For taking a place sight unseen, I really think I lucked out. I've also started meeting a lot of the people in my program, and everyone is so nice and excited to be here it's really got me pumped for the semester ahead. 

So overall, I'd say so far, so good. Pre-Term starts tomorrow, so that's all subject to change. More on that later... 

1 comment:

  1. GOOD LUCK birthday twin! You have a place to stay in NYC when you want to explore. :)

    ReplyDelete