Tuesday, September 21, 2010

A Real Update... for a Change

When I get around to posting today's photo, it will be number 50! I can't believe how fast these last 7 weeks have gone by!

School has pretty much settled into what I think is going to be its routine. It looks like this: wake up, eat, shower (etc.), re-read materials for class, pack a lunch, head to campus, eat said lunch, class, study time, more class, walk home, make dinner, study, sleep. 

And you wonder why a lot of my photo posts are back-dated!

I'm finally able to answer one question definitively though - what classes are you taking? Since we're in the first year core curriculum, we don't get to pick or schedule our own classes, so I've never been able to give a good answer to that question. I'm taking classes in Organizational Business, Marketing Management, Finance, Accounting, and Statistics. These are the courses that take up the bulk of my week. I'm also enrolled in a Career Management course, Executive Skills, and my Career Community. 

One of the most frustrating things about the scheduling here is that it's not predictable. Ask me where I'll be on  a Monday at 1 p.m., and I can only tell you SMG room 322. It might be Marketing, it might be Stats. It might be a 90 minute class, it might be a 3 hour class. Sometimes we think we have Marketing, but our Stats professor shows up. It can be a little hard to keep straight, so I just have to take it one week at a time in terms of scheduling. Thankfully, the Graduate Programs Office sent each cohort a Google calendar with our schedule, so it's not impossible to keep track of.

We had our first big project due last week, which we completed with our teams. It was a case analysis on Meg Whitman at eBay, followed by an analysis of one of the international countries where eBay operates. It was a ton of work, and the first substantial assignment we'd completed with our teams. We had a marathon four-hour class on Friday for all of the presentations, and then headed to the pub after to blow off some steam. It was really great how many people came up and complimented our team, and me personally as well. I was really flattered! Public Speaking isn't something I'm bad at (thank you Mormon church), but it's not exactly something I'd do for fun!

We're gearing up now for our Integrated Project, which is the biggest part of our grade in pretty much all of our classes. The gist is - we have to pick a consumer product brand, evaluate it, and make a proposal to revitalize that brand and decide whether or not our "company" should purchase it. Once that really kicks off, I fully expect my life to end as I know it!

I've also been fighting my homebody tendencies since coming to Boston, trying to be social and make friends. It's so hard when my bed is so comfy and my TV so large! Just kidding. It's definitely a different scene here than in LA - a lot more casual (I have only worn heels out once!) and not so clubby. I'm trying to work the Groupon/Living Social deals to be able to stretch my student budget over all of the things I want to do. 

It's funny, after Labor Day, it's like a switch was flipped. It's now Fall - cool and crisp, yet still sunny and clear out. This is definitely new... and nice... but it's hard to not go out and buy lots of boots and cozy sweaters. I can't wait until I have an income again! 

Anyway, more later. If there are any specific questions you have, send them my way via e-mail or in the comments, and I'll do a big question answering post this weekend. 

No comments:

Post a Comment