Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Project 365: 50/365

Every time I go to Trader Joe's, I leave out the back door and take the short cut home. When I do, I pass this:


The sign simply says "Tracy Milillo 1981-2009." 

I've wondered about this memorial for a while now, and today I finally googled it. It's called the "ghost bicycle" and it marks the spot of a fatal bicycle accident that took place last year. The young woman was riding, then crashed her bike in the intersection. A motorist stopped after seeing her fall - wondering if he had hit her - but tests later found his vehicle never made contact with her. They simply don't know what caused her to crash. It was her last day in Boston; her parents were coming the next day to move her back to New York.

Such a sad story. The memorial is both beautiful and a little eerie. I think I'll steer clear of here come Halloween...

You can read more about the story here

No comments:

Post a Comment